I’m in the pointy end of my thirties, South Island born and bred and Winemaker for Mount Michael Wines.
I live on a lifestyle block in Central Otago with my wife Meghan, Huntaway dog Forrest, two cats Isla and Barry, four chickens, a rooster named Bernard, a pair of pigs called Big Stripe and Scratch and their 12 piglets.
I moved to Central Otago in 2007 to start the more settled stage of my winemaking career after spending 2 years as a travelling winemaker, I spent a further seven years winemaking at Terra Sancta. I didn’t realise at the time that it would lead to me discovering so many wonderful things that would play such important roles in my life. It was in Central Otago that I meet my wife, learned to ski, adopted my first dog, started restoring an old Land Rover, purchased our first home and began a journey of discovery and learning with Pinot Noir that continues to this day.
The opportunity to work for a boutique, premium wine producer as part of a smaller team; hand crafting tiny quantities of honest wine and having real input into the growth and success of this little wine company is what bought me to Mount Michael.
2018 marks my twentieth vintage and while several stand out in my mind for different reasons, this one has without doubt been my most anticipated, exciting and rewarding to date. Working with single vineyards and single ferments is both challenging and satisfying as you only get one shot to get it right, but you also get to see the wines take shape from very early on in their journey.
My winemaking philosophy is one of restraint. I think the role of the winemaker should be one of interpretation. Listening to the season, understanding what that means for the fruit and then translating that into wine that speaks of its origins. The vineyard, the soils and the season should be easily recognisable in the wines, not the winemaker.
At Mount Michael I hope to share my winemaking journey and the story of each vintage, be sure to receive our ‘Behind the Vines’ seasonal updates if you want to come along that journey.
Our policy lasts 30 days. If 30 days have gone by since your purchase, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. It must also be in the original undamaged packaging.Additional non-returnable items:
To complete your return, we require a receipt or proof of purchase.Refunds (if applicable)
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within a certain amount of days.Late or missing refunds (if applicable)
If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again. Then contact your credit card company, it may take some time before your refund is officially posted. Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted. If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please contact us at [email protected].Sale items (if applicable)
Only regular priced items may be refunded, unfortunately sale items cannot be refunded.Exchanges (if applicable)
We only replace items if they are defective or damaged. If you need to exchange it for the same item, send us an email at [email protected] and send your item to: 10 Pinot Noir Drive, Cromwell, Central Otago New Zealand.Gifts
If the item was marked as a gift when purchased and shipped directly to you, you’ll receive a gift credit for the value of your return. Once the returned item is received, a gift certificate will be mailed to you.
If the item wasn’t marked as a gift when purchased, or the gift giver had the order shipped to themselves to give to you later, we will send a refund to the gift giver and he will find out about your return.Shipping
To return your product, you should mail your product to: 10 Pinot Noir Drive Cromwell Otago NZ 9384
You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary.
If you are shipping an item over $75, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.
When you purchase something from our store, as part of the buying and selling process, we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, address and email address.
When you browse our store, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
Email marketing (if applicable): With your permission, we may send you emails about our store, new products and other updates.SECTION 2 - CONSENT How do you get my consent?
When you provide us with personal information to complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order, arrange for a delivery or return a purchase, we imply that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only. If we ask for your personal information for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to say no.How do I withdraw my consent?
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at anytime, by contacting us at [email protected] or mailing us at:
Mount Michael Wines
10 Pinot Noir Drive, Central Otago NZ 9384SECTION 3 - DISCLOSURE
We may disclose your personal information if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service.SECTION 4 - AGE OF CONSENT
By using this site, you represent that you are over 18 years old. Please drink responsibly.QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
If you would like to: access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information contact us at
[email protected] or by mail at;
Mount Michael Wines
10 Pinot Noir Drive Cromwell Otago NZ 9384SECTION 5 - SUBSCRIPTIONS SUBSCRIPTIONS
The below Terms & Conditions apply to all NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIAN subscription members upon joining the club. By joining the Mount Michael Subscription Service, you agree to the following:
1. NEW ZEALAND MEMBERS: You have signed up to a one-year contract, comprised of two bi annual, consecutive shipments. This membership will automatically renew unless you notify us of your desire to cancel your membership. You have chosen to belong to one of two specific wine club offerings of either 6x bottles of wine bi annually a total of 12 bottles a year or 12x bottles bi annually a total of 24 bottles a year. AUSTRALIAN MEMBERS: You have signed up to a one-year contract, comprised of one annual shipment. This membership will automatically renew unless you notify us of your desire to cancel your membership. You will receive one Annual shipment of 15 bottles of wine.
2. Unless affected by unforeseen logistic circumstance, we charge your credit card on file bi annually on the 1st of: April and the 1st October. AUSTRALIAN subscriptions will be charged on the 1st of October. Unless you are notified by email 2 weeks prior otherwise.
3. The wine is dispatched within 5 days of your credit card being processed. You will receive an email confirmation that your order has been dispatched and an estimated delivery time. AUSTRALIA – Your wine takes three weeks to ship and we use NZ Wine Export as our third-party dispatch service.
4. Mount Micheal Wines reserves the right to alter the bi annual and annual release dates, dependent on vintage release. You will be notified of any changes in your bi annual or annual email announcing the coming shipment 2 weeks prior to the shipment date.
5. We review price ceilings annually. Any price changes will take effect 1st of July.
6. After one year, you may cancel your membership by written email notice to [email protected] at any time up to two weeks prior to a shipment. Members who send a cancellation request less than two weeks prior to a shipment will still be charged for and sent that shipment, and the cancellation will be implemented afterwards.
7. If you cancel your membership before receiving two bi annual or first annual wine club shipment(s), that is viewed as an early termination. Early terminations are subject to a fee of $20, or, the amount of total discount you have received up until the point of your early termination—whichever is greater. The latter amount covers discounted benefits you may have received as part of the benefits of being a subscription member.
8. NZ Only - You can downgrade your membership to the minimum of ‘6 bottles bi annually’ by email notice any time up to two weeks before a shipment. Email: [email protected]
9. Wine Subscription Members are responsible for notifying Mount Michael Wines of any delivery address changes. Failure to notify Mount Michael Wines of changes in delivery addresses will result in us passing along any fees incurred. Such include but are not limited to: the fee charged to us by the courier for failed delivery, a $20 fee for re-dispatching the wine for a second time. Members will be reminded annually or bi annually to update their delivery details in the annual or bi annual emails announcing the coming shipment. AUSTRALIA: Once the wine has left New Zealand, there is very little we can do as it will be inaccessible until it arrives in Australia. Getting wine brought back to New Zealand is at the members expense.
10. NZ Only - Deliveries will be attempted three times to the address that you provide. Should the three attempts fail, you acknowledge and agree to a $20 redispatch fee to cover the costs charged to us for the failed delivery as well as the cost of re-dispatching your wine a second time.
11. You can put your membership on hold for a maximum of 6 months at any time prior to 2 weeks before the 1st of April and October. On Hold requests after that time will be charged and sent the shipment that corresponds with that quarter.
12. By joining the Mount Micheal Subscription Service, you are declaring that you are the legal age of alcohol consumption in your home country and the country of delivery.
13. By joining the Mount Micheal Subscription Service you understand that the contact details you provide will be used to send correspondence regarding membership updates, exclusive event invitations and other information pertaining to your membership. These details will be added to the Mount Michael database and stored securely. They will never be rented to any third parties. Email is our main and preferred method of contact for the subscription service.
14. You agree to use of any photographs taken of you or your guest at a Mount Micheal Subscription Service event for marketing purposes.