Mount Michael itself is the southernmost peak of the Pisa Range, standing tall as the guardian of the Kawarau gorge and the entrance to the Cromwell basin, overlooking the subregions in which our wines are grown.
Like the mountain, we have a pioneering spirit with a rich history of planting and making wines in Central Otago dating back to 1994. Present day – not much has changed, we are still exploring the region in pursuit of perfect growing conditions and flawless fruit while discovering new and evolving wine making techniques to continue to produce boutique, handcrafted Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Pinot Rose.
Distinctively Central Otago; our Mount Michael Wines are expressive of the land they come from and are treasured by all that know them.
Read more about our beginnings below..
2019 saw a new partnership with the opening of the Mount Michael Wines tasting room in conjunction with the Buzz Stop Honey Center, located in Frankton, Queenstown.
2018 brought new members to the Mount Michael family as we design and launch the first wines in our new collection ‘The Mountaineer’.
We also make our first vegan friendly wines.
In 2016 our Reserve Pinot Noir wasn’t the only good thing gathering momentum. So was our baby niece and whilst she only had 9 and a bit months ‘in barrel’ her parents named her Isla Robbie when she came into the world in 2017.
We are thrilled to announce ISLA as our Reserve Pinot Noir for 2016, ongoing where great vintages permit. Debuting Gold in the Exhibition Category of the 2017 Air New Zealand Wine Awards.
New friendships are formed with three generational growers sourcing their premium fruit from Lowburn, Bendigo & Gibbston; subregions of Central Otago.
The Mt Michael Lodge is opened by Alistair & Fiona Marris, the first luxury accommodation of its kind amongst Central Otago vines.
The new generation.
As Mount Michael Wines heads into its third decade, the Robbie family acquire Mount Michael in 2015 with Peter (a fifth generation southerner of Scottish decent) and daughter Anna at the helm, the next chapter of the story begins.
Alan Scott of the aforementioned investment consortium went on to buy out his other investors from the vineyard and later that year the remaining syndicate inclusive of Peter Morrison & Debbie Laycock purchased a new seven-hectare plot in Lowburn where Mount Michael Wines found its new home.
After a decade the Anderson family sold Mount Michael Wines to a consortium of wine enthusiasts. With the success of Mount Michael Wines a premium reserve wine was created and named after an original and most loved “employee”, Bessie. A Fox terrier and rabbit hunter of legend, she was vineyard “supervisor” for many years. Mount Michael Wines retained this reserve wine until 2016 when her name was finally retired.
The Central Otago Wine Growers Association (COWA) showcased the region for the first time in London at New Zealand House. Mount Michael Wines were apart of this maiden journey to the United Kingdom, entering in the The London International Wine Challenge and awarded a Silver Medal for the 2002 Pinot Noir at the worlds largest wine competition.
In order to focus her initial efforts on the vineyard, Sue sold grapes from the first two years harvest to Chard Farm. By 1999, Sue felt that the vineyard was well established and the grapes had achieved sufficient quality. The first wines under the “Mount Michael” label were made by Matt Dicey of Mt Difficulty.
The very first harvest of grapes from the Mount Michael Vineyard were picked, and blessed by the local Anglican Church Vicar. Causing some controversy as the local Catholic Church went on to being included in the founding label.
The story begins – Mount Michael Vineyard arose out of Sue and Martin Anderson’s desire to live and run a business in Central Otago. They spent nearly two years finding the right site; a six hectare plot overlooking the Wanaka – Queenstown turnoff at Cromwell. An initial three-hectare vineyard was planted with approximately half Chardonnay grapes and the other half in Pinot Noir grapes.
Our policy lasts 30 days. If 30 days have gone by since your purchase, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. It must also be in the original undamaged packaging.Additional non-returnable items:
To complete your return, we require a receipt or proof of purchase.Refunds (if applicable)
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within a certain amount of days.Late or missing refunds (if applicable)
If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again. Then contact your credit card company, it may take some time before your refund is officially posted. Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted. If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please contact us at [email protected].Sale items (if applicable)
Only regular priced items may be refunded, unfortunately sale items cannot be refunded.Exchanges (if applicable)
We only replace items if they are defective or damaged. If you need to exchange it for the same item, send us an email at [email protected] and send your item to: 10 Pinot Noir Drive, Cromwell, Central Otago New Zealand.Gifts
If the item was marked as a gift when purchased and shipped directly to you, you’ll receive a gift credit for the value of your return. Once the returned item is received, a gift certificate will be mailed to you.
If the item wasn’t marked as a gift when purchased, or the gift giver had the order shipped to themselves to give to you later, we will send a refund to the gift giver and he will find out about your return.Shipping
To return your product, you should mail your product to: 10 Pinot Noir Drive Cromwell Otago NZ 9384
You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary.
If you are shipping an item over $75, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.
When you purchase something from our store, as part of the buying and selling process, we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, address and email address.
When you browse our store, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
Email marketing (if applicable): With your permission, we may send you emails about our store, new products and other updates.SECTION 2 - CONSENT How do you get my consent?
When you provide us with personal information to complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order, arrange for a delivery or return a purchase, we imply that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only. If we ask for your personal information for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to say no.How do I withdraw my consent?
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at anytime, by contacting us at [email protected] or mailing us at:
Mount Michael Wines
10 Pinot Noir Drive, Central Otago NZ 9384SECTION 3 - DISCLOSURE
We may disclose your personal information if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service.SECTION 4 - AGE OF CONSENT
By using this site, you represent that you are over 18 years old. Please drink responsibly.QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
If you would like to: access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information contact us at
[email protected] or by mail at;
Mount Michael Wines
10 Pinot Noir Drive Cromwell Otago NZ 9384SECTION 5 - SUBSCRIPTIONS SUBSCRIPTIONS
The below Terms & Conditions apply to all NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIAN subscription members upon joining the club. By joining the Mount Michael Subscription Service, you agree to the following:
1. NEW ZEALAND MEMBERS: You have signed up to a one-year contract, comprised of either one annual shipment (library raid) or two bi annual, consecutive shipments (annual allocation) This membership will automatically renew unless you notify us of your desire to cancel your membership. You will receive 2x 6 bottle shipments sent out bi annually (12 bottles in total) or 12 bottles sent out annually (library raid)
AUSTRALIAN MEMBERS: You have signed up to a one-year contract, comprised of one annual shipment. This membership will automatically renew unless you notify us of your desire to cancel your membership. You will receive one Annual shipment of 15 bottles of wine.
2. Unless affected by unforeseen logistic circumstance, NEW ZEALAND subscriptions- we charge your credit card on file bi annually 5 days before your shipment is due to be dispatched. (1stJune & 1st November) AUSTRALIAN subscriptions will be charged within the last week of October ahead of a shipment dispatch on the 1stNovember. You be notified of the exact date and charge in your upcoming shipment email 3 weeks prior to shipment.
3. The wine is dispatched within 5 days of your credit card being processed. You will receive an email confirmation that your order has been dispatched and an estimated delivery time. AUSTRALIA – Your wine takes three weeks to ship and we use NZ Wine Export as our third-party dispatch service.
4. Mount Michael Wines reserves the right to alter the bi annual and annual release dates, dependent on vintage release. You will be notified of any changes in your bi annual or annual email announcing the coming shipment 3 weeks prior to the shipment date.
5. We review price ceilings annually. Any price changes will take effect 1st of May.
6. After one year, you may cancel your membership by written email notice to [email protected] at any time up to three weeks prior to a shipment. Members who send a cancellation request less than three weeks prior to a shipment will still be charged for and sent that shipment, and the cancellation will be implemented afterwards.
7. If you cancel your membership before receiving two bi annual or first annual wine club shipment(s), that is viewed as an early termination. Early terminations are subject to a fee of $20, or, the amount of total discount you have received up until the point of your early termination—whichever is greater. The latter amount covers discounted benefits you may have received as part of the benefits of being a subscription member.
8. Wine Subscription Members are responsible for notifying Mount Michael Wines of any delivery address changes. Failure to notify Mount Michael Wines of changes in delivery addresses will result in us passing along any fees incurred. Such include but are not limited to: the fee charged to us by the courier for failed delivery, a $20 fee for re-dispatching the wine for a second time. Members will be reminded annually or bi annually to update their delivery details in the annual or bi annual emails announcing the coming shipment. AUSTRALIA: Once the wine has left New Zealand, there is very little we can do as it will be inaccessible until it arrives in Australia. Getting wine brought back to New Zealand is at the members expense.
9. NZ Only - Deliveries will be attempted three times to the address that you provide. Should the three attempts fail, you acknowledge and agree to a $20 redispatch fee to cover the costs charged to us for the failed delivery as well as the cost of re-dispatching your wine a second time.
10. You can put your membership on hold for a maximum of 6 months at any time prior to 2 weeks before the 1st of May and October. On Hold requests after that time will be charged and sent the shipment that corresponds with that quarter.
11. By joining the Mount Michael Subscription Service, you are declaring that you are the legal age of alcohol consumption in your home country and the country of delivery.
12. By joining the Mount Michael Subscription Service, you understand that the contact details you provide will be used to send correspondence regarding membership updates, exclusive event invitations and other information pertaining to your membership. These details will be added to the Mount Michael database and stored securely. They will never be rented to any third parties. Email is our main and preferred method of contact for the subscription service.
13. You agree to use of any photographs taken of you or your guest at a Mount Michael Subscription Service event for marketing purposes.